APPLE FRITTER with Cinnamon Caramel Icing

A while ago I was reading Michael Ruhlman’s book ‘RATIO The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking’ in the Quick Cakes section he talked about how similar Fritter batter and pancake batter are. So I decide to make some apple fritters. I had an idea how I wanted them to turn out from the time that I was a bakery manger at an independent Super Market.

I cut up the apples and cook them, here I would normally add corn starch slurry to thicken the liquid, since I did not have any I drained off the liquid and use it to make the icing. While I was frying the apple fritters I had one person come into the kitchen to find out what I was making he could “smell it from across the camp.” One of the interrupter said “it was the best dessert that he has had In Iraq,”  he has been here for three plus years. This would go great with Ice Cream.

APPLE FRITTER with Cinnamon Caramel Icing
MAKES 30

12                    Granny Smith Apples
4ounces           Margarine
3 ½ cups          Brown Sugar, divided
2 teaspoons     Cinnamon, divided
15 Cups           Krusteaz Wheat & Honey Pancake Mix
3 cups              Water
Peel Apples placing in Acidized water (2 liters of water and juice from 2 lemons ) this will keep the apples from turn brown,  cut the apples into a ruff medium dice, place back in water.
Drain the apples and discard the liquid, place the apples in a 4 quart pot, add 2 ½ cups Brown Sugar and 1 teaspoon Cinnamon and 4 oz margarine cook on high till soft drain off liquid into 2 quart pan will be about 2 cups. Let apples cool.
Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon to apple liquid, cook on high for 15-20 or until you have a thick syrup, it should make a six to eight inch long drip. Keep warm

In an extra large bowl add 9 cups Krusteaz Wheat & Honey Pancake Mix and 3 cups of water mix tighter, add apples and mix. On a clean table spread 1 cup Krusteaz Wheat & Honey Pancake Mix over the table place Fritter dough on table and kneed for 5 min.
Roll out the dough till about ¼ inch thick cut in three inch squares. Place in 365 degree deep fryer, fry until golden brown place on sheet pan add drizzle cinnamon caramel Icing.
Per Serving: 346 Calories; 5g Fat (13.1% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 67g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 584mg Sodium

1 comment:

my tiny princess said...

My word Yim! That looks so good!